Compared to its opponent, DS918+ has greater dive bays and RAM storage but its processing speed is relatively slower. Having additional RAM storage and drive bays also gives DS918+ an advantage of having superior writing/reading speed and storage capacity respectively.
Differences/Similarities of Both NAS Devices:
- Both contenders are made by Synology for providing high-performance storage solutions.
- DS220+ has 2 drive bays but its competitor contains 4 drive bays and can also be extended up to 9.
- Processing speed of DS220+ is superior to its peer even though both have a quad-core processor. It’s because of a superior clock speed.
- DS918+ has superior RAM as well.
- DS918+ also takes the lead from a design perspective.
- Both of them have favorable aspects in them but DS918+ takes an edge from the feature’s point of view as well.
- Reading/Writing speed and data storage, both of them are relatively high in the case of DS918+.
- DS918+ offers 3 years of warranty while its competitor has only 2 years of warranty.
- DS918+ is more expensive than its competitor.
The Synology DS220+ is a 2-bay NAS storage device that is designed for smooth multimedia management and compact storage solutions. It runs on 2.0 GHz processing speed and has 2 GB RAM storage.
Its processing speed and RAM storage can be extended up to 2.9 GHz and 6 GB RAM respectively. But its drive bays cannot be extended by attaching it to other NAS devices.
On the other side, the Synology DS918+ is a 4-bay NAS storage device that is specially designed for medium-size enterprises and small IT companies to store, share and process essential office data.
It runs on a 1.5 GHz processing speed and has 4 GB of RAM storage. Its processing speed and RAM storage can be extended up to 2.3 GHz and 8 GB RAM respectively.
Unlike its competitor, its drive bays can be extended up to 9 by attaching other expansion units with it via the eSATA port.
Table of Contents
Side By Side Comparison:
|Central Processing Unit
|Intel Celeron J4025 2.0 GHz, expandable up to 2.9 GHz
|Intel Celeron J3455 1.5GHz, expandable up to 2.3 GHz
|CPU Architecture and Core
|Drive Bays / with Expansion
|2 / 2
|4 / 9
|Reading and Writing Speed
|Over 225 Mbps and 192 Mbps
|Over 226 Mbps and 222 Mbps
|Installed Memory / Extended Memory
|2 GB DDR3L / 6 GB
|4 GB DDR3L / 8 GB
Design and Hardware
Synology DS220+ is a rectangular boxed-shaped NAS device with a matt black textured finishing and four corner legs.
It has an engraved Synology logo on its right side.
Synology DS918+ is a boxed-shaped NAS device with a matt black textured finishing just like its opponent. It also has an engraved Synology logo on its right side (from the front view).
Both of them have status indicating LEDs, a power button, and a USB 3.0 port on their front panels.
The difference is that DS220+ has a USB Auto Copy button and DS918+ has 4 Drive Tray Locks in their front panels.
On their rear panels, they have a pair of LAN ports, a reset button, a power supply port, a USB 3.0 port, and one Kensington security slot.
DS220+ has only one exhaust fan on its rear panel while its competitor is equipped with two fans of the same also.
Also, DS918+ has an eSATA port for expansion purposes while its competitor doesn’t.
Having additional drive bays, an eSATA port for expansions, and an additional exhaust fan gives Synology DS918+ an edge over its competitor from the hardware point of view.
But DS220+has an Auto Copy USB button which gives it an extra feature over its competitor.
From a design perspective, DS220+ is a better-looking device with a compact design and shining bevel structure on the front panel.
|Dimensions (H x W x D)
|165 x 108 x 232.2 mm
|166 x 199 x 223 mm
|USB 3.0 ports
|System, Network, Drives
|HDD1-4, LAN, USB, Power/Status
|USB Auto Copy, Reset, Power
|Exhaust Fan (92 x 92 x 25 mm)
|Ethernet LAN Port (RJ-45)
|2 x 1GbE
Features of Synology DS220+
- Computing processes such as web surfing response efficiency, photo indexing, database response time, etc. are very fast due to the 2.0GHz Quad-core processor.
- It offers a multimedia hub for you to organize and enjoy your audio files, videos, and photos.
- It offers an effortless data connection to your mobile.
- You can access and synchronize your data files very easily.
- Link aggregation system is installed to combine the effect of dual Ethernet ports for maximum speed.
- Restore your damaged data effortlessly through snapshot replication.
- It is an energy-efficient device that reduces its operating cost.
Features of Synology DS928+
Despite having a relatively fast processing speed and efficient energy consumption, Synology DS918+ possesses all the above-mentioned features of DS220+.
But there are still other important features it provides which are mentioned below.
- It allows you to increase drive bays by combining them with extension devices.
- It has an M.2/NVMe 2280 SSD in it which enhances its cache creation process without subjugating the space of drive bays.
- Its DiskStation Manager (DSM), a web-based system, allows its users to manage and store their account information efficiently.
- Its Collaboration Suit opens up the door to business collaboration in an effective manner.
- The device also allows real-time transcoding of two 4K HD videos at the same time.
DS918+ has some additional and advanced features which give it superiority over its competitor in this regard.
Since the clock speed or CPU frequency of DS220+ is relatively higher than its competitor, then its data interpretation and processing speed would also be higher.
The reading speed of Synology DS220+ and DS918+ is 225 Mbps and 226 Mbps respectively.
And the writing speed of Synology DS220+ and DS918+ is 192 Mbps and 222 Mbps.
As we can see both the writing and reading speed of DS918+ is relatively higher than its competitor.
Data Storage Capacity of both devices:
Data storage of any NAS storage device depends on the number of drive bays it possesses and how many extended bays can be added to it.
Synology DS220+ has only 2 drive bays and it can’t be extended furthermore.
Since Synology DS918+ has 2 extra drive bays and can be extended up to a total of 9 drive bays, it is sure to save more data compared to its opponents.
Differences in Warranty
Even though both products are being made by the same manufacturer, their warranty period is different.
Synology offers 2 years and 3 years of warranty for DS220+ and DS918+ respectively.
Both products are being regulated by part 15 of the Federal Communication Commission.
Compare DS220+ with others:
- Synology DS220+ vs DS718+
- Synology DS 220+ vs DS 920+
- Synology DS220+ vs DS720+
- Synology DS220+ vs DS420J
- Synology DS220+ vs DS218play
- Synology DS220+ vs ds220j
Compare DS918+ with others: