Compared to its opponent, TS-415+ has a high processing speed, large expandable bays, and RAM size. Also, its advanced features and design are superior to its opponent.
Let’s start off with all similarities and differences between the two:
- TS-415+ has superior processing speed, expanded RAM size, drive bays, and data storage.
- TS-415+ has superior design and its features also outrun its competitor.
- TS-415+ supports more Operating Systems and languages compared to its competitor, but fewer web browsers.
- DS918+ delivers superior writing speed but inferior reading speed to its peer.
- The cost and warranty period, both are high in the case of TS-415+ compared to its opponent.
Here, the Synology DS918+ operates at 1.5GHz speed with 4 drive bays and 4GB RAM. But its processing speed, drive bays and RAM size can be extended up to 2.3GHz, 9 drive bays, and 8GB respectively.
It is designed for small IT companies and enthusiastic medium-sized enterprises.
On the other hand, QNAP TS-415+ operates at 2.0 GHz speed with 4 drive bays and 2GB RAM. But its processing speed, drive bays and RAM size can be extended up to 2.42GHz, 12 drive bays, and 8GB respectively.
It is designed for professional users and home usage where family members can access its features simultaneously for different purposes.
Side By Side Comparison:
|Technical Specifications||Synology DS918+||QNAP TS-451+|
|Central Processing Unit||Intel Celeron J3455 1.5GHz quad-core, burst up to 2.3 GHz||Intel Celeron quad-core 2.0GHz (upgradable to 2.42 GHz)|
|Drive Bays / with Expansion||4 / 9||4 / 12|
|Maximum Raw Capacity / with Extension||48 / 108 TB||32 / 96 TB|
|Reading and Writing Speed||Over 226 Mbps and 222 Mbps||Over 225 Mbps and 224 Mbps|
|Video Transcoding||Up to 4K H.264||Up to 4K HD H.264|
|Installed Memory / Extended Memory||4 GB DDR3L / 8 GB||2 GB DDR3L / 8 GB|
Differences in Design
DS918+ is a boxed-shaped NAS with a matt black texture. It is relatively smaller and lighter compared to its competitor.
Its front panel contains 4 drive bays along with 5 status indicating LEDs, a power button, a 3.0 USB port, and drive tray locks on each bay.
On the rear panel, there are two exhaust panels, which cover up a lot of space, to keep the NAS’s temperature from getting elevated.
Two Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, with a link aggregation system, are also on the rear panel for connecting the NAS to the internet.
There is a RESET button to reset the configuration of the NAS. An eSATA (External Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) port is provided to link the Synology DS918+ with expansion units.
Another USB 3.0 port, a Kensington security slot, and a power button are also available on the rear panel.
The purpose of USB 3.0 is to connect the device with external devices that use USB.
Like its competitor, TS-451+ is also a box-shaped NAS with a dark grey texture.
Its front panel is comprised of 4 drive bays, status indicating LEDs, a USB 3.2 port, a power, and a USB auto copy button.
The rear side of QNAP TS-451+ has one large-sized exhaust fan to prevent the NAS from heating up.
Other elements on the rear side are 2 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, a power port, two 2.0 USB ports, one 3.2 USB port, one HTML port, and a Kensington security slot.
The connection between TS-451+ and other expansion units is carried out by USB 3.2 ports instead of an eSATA port.
From a design perspective, we can say that QNAP TS-451+ is better since it has an HTML port which its competitor lacks.
It also has 2 USB 2.0 ports which DS918+ doesn’t have. And its USB 3.2 ports are more advanced than Synology DS918+’s USB 3.0 ports in terms of transfer speed.
|Parameter||Synology DS918+||QNAP TS-451+|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||166 x 199 x 223 mm||177 × 180 × 235 mm|
|USB||2 (3.0)||2 (3.2) and 2 (2.0)|
|HDMI Out||No||1, Up to 1080p|
|LED Indicators||LAN, USB, Power/Status, HDD1-4||LAN, USB, Power/Status, HDD1-4|
|Buttons||Reset, USB Auto Copy, Power||Reset, USB Auto Copy, Power|
Features of Synology DS 918+
- Its drive bays can be upgraded up to 9 due to linking it with other expansion units.
- Its link aggregation and AES-NI encryption provide great throughput performance.
- Enhanced system cache creation because it supports M.2 NVMe 2280 SSDs.
- It is equipped with a Btrfs file system which enables an advanced storage system. It offers approximately 65000 system-wide snapshots.
- By using the RAID technology, Btrfs can recover damaged files as well with mirror metadata.
- For small organizations, its business application known as DiskStation Manager (DSM) provides a private cloud solution. It offers intuitive and effective management options.
- You can use multiple virtual machines (Linus, Windows, and Virtual DSM) due to the privilege of Virtual Machine Manager installed in it.
- It allows you to run two 4K HD videos at the same time.
- Its Video Station, Audio Station, and Photo Station allow you to easily organize multimedia.
- It can be powered ON/OFF over the Local Area Network through its Wake On LAN (WOL) feature.
Features of Synology QNAP TS 451+
- You can operate the device like a computer with the help of QvPV technology. By connecting a mouse, a keyboard, and an HTML monitor, you can access your saved data and run many applications using Windows/ Linux/ Android, etc.
- Its drive bays can be upgraded up to 12 due to linking it with other expansion units.
- You can connect the QNAP TS-451+ with your TV through an HTML connection and can enjoy the multimedia on the big screen.
- Its real-time video transcoding is wonderful, allowing you to play 4K HD video on your PC, TV, Android, etc.
- Via USB and Bluetooth, you can connect multiple devices to stream your multimedia at the same time.
- QNAP’s new build-in feature is Qsirch which allows you to locate your photos, videos, and audios in no time.
- It also supports data transfer technology across multiple connected devices such as Windows, UNIX, Linus, Mac, etc. through AFP, SMB/CIFS, and NFS protocols.
- It also provides cloud services where you can download, upload, and manage your files via the internet. Also allow you to share the content with your friends through a URL link just like Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, etc.
- Provides scheduled and real-time backup and also recovers the damaged files through RAID technology.
- It provides ultimate security to your stored data from any hacker attack.
- QNAP has also developed a built-in App center that allows QNAP TS-451+’s users to install apps for educational, work-related, and entertainment purposes.
Both of them have very beneficial and advanced features in them but QNAP TS-451+ takes the lead in this because having an HTML port which allows it to many other features.
Also, a built-in App center, additional drive extension, and Qsirch feature give it the edge.
Differences in Processing Speeds:
Both of the contenders have a 64-bit quad-core Intel processor installed in them.
But their clock speed differs, which is the reason for their difference in working speed.
Synology DS918+ would be slower compared to its competitor since its clock speed is 1.5 GHz while its competitor’s is 2.0 GHz.
Furthermore, DS918+ can be upgraded up to 2.3 GHz while its competitor is upgradable up to 2.4 GHz.
Read and Write Speed Differences:
DS918+ comes along with 4GB built-in RAM and can be upgraded up to 8GB.
On the other hand, QNAP TS-451+ comes along with 2GB of built-in RAM and can be upgraded up to 8GB.
Having a better built-in RAM, Synology DS918+ provides superior writing speed but lacks the reading speed of its peer.
Data Storage Capacity:
Initially, both can store an equal amount of data since their drive bay’s quantity is the same.
But TS-451+ is expandable up to 12 drive bays through expansion units while its competitor only is expandable up to 9.
The maximum raw capacity of a NAS device depends upon the RAID configuration.
Also, TS-451+ contains twice the amount of Local Group Accounts and Local User Accounts compared to its competitor.
Hence QNAP TS-451+ takes the lead in this regard.
Synology offers 3 years of warranty for Synology DS918+ while its competitor, TS-451+ is backed by only 2 years of warranty but can be extended up to 5 years after purchasing the warranty extension.