Both of the competitors provide fast, efficient, secure, reliable, and easy-to-use storage devices. They utilize the exFAT file system and comply with USB 3.0 and USB-C ports.
The Seagate Expansion provides up to 2TB storage for its SSDs, 5TB for its portable HDDs, and up 20TB for its password-protected desktop devices.
The device is amazingly small but quite fast and mighty in terms of providing reliable storage. With a data transfer rate of 5 GB/s, its SSD provides premium data transmission performance.
Coming to Seagate One Touch, the storage capacity of all its family products is equivalent to its competitor. With a speed of 1030 MB/s, it does provide a fast data transfer rate but lacks behind its competitor.
With its advanced features and subscription packages, Seagate One Touch is considered to be a versatile storage device.
Comparing Them Both:
Compared to Seagate One Touch, the Expansion has high data transfer rate and also takes the lead in having product diversity. But One Touch takes the lead in having a more attractive design, advanced features, system compatibility, and better cost.
Seagate One Touch
|Technical Specifications||Seagate Expansion||Seagate One Touch|
|Product Family||Portable External Hard Drives, SSDs, Desktop Drives||Portable External Hard Drives, SSDs, Desktop Hub|
|AC Powered||Desktop Drive||Desktop Hub|
|Bus Powered||SSDs & Portable External Hard Drives||SSDs & Portable External Hard Drives|
|SSD data transfer speed||5 GB/s||1030 MB/s|
|Rescue Data Recovery Services||Yes||Yes|
|Port Compatibility||USB 3.0 and USB-C||USB 3.0 and USB-C|
What are the differences in Design & Hardware?
The SSDs of both competitors are having a rectangular shape with a slim body thickness. Both of them are having a single USB 3.0 port in them.
The Expansion is having linear line-grading with an angle of 45o on its plastic texture.
On the other hand, One Touch has a shiny Aluminium texture with horizontal lines on it. One touch is relatively more compact in size but equivalent in weight.
The portable HDDs of both competitors are having almost a similar shape as their SSDs but are relatively larger in size.
Both of them are equipped with one USB 3.0 port as well.
Expansion is having a similar line-grading on its ridges plastic as it has on its SSD.
While, on the other hand, One Touch is having a polished aluminium surface with a matt black texture. One touch is relatively smaller in size and lighter in weight.
The major difference between an HDD and a Desktop Drive is that you have to provide a separate power source to it, while an HDD consumes power from its data transfer cable.
When it comes to Desktop Drives, both contenders are having the same texture and design as their HDDs but they have tower-shaped structures.
The major difference between the Expansion Desktop Drive and One Touch Desktop Hub is that the Hub is having an additional USB 3.0 port and also has a USB-C port.
This would allow the Hub to not only store data but also provide a charging facility for many digital appliances such as mobile phones, tablets, etc.
Hub is smaller in size but heavier than its competitor.
From a hardware perspective, both competitors are made from robust and long-lasting material but the Hub of One Touch is having more USB ports.
Also, One Touch comes in many color variations while its competitor is only available in the black color.
And the shiny SSD, matt black HDD, and smooth textured Hub have a more attractive and aesthetic appearance.
It’s also relatively more compact and lighter in weight.
|Parameter||Seagate Expansion||Seagate One Touch|
|Dimension in inches (L x W x D)||1 TB SSD = 2.953 x 2.185 x 0.390 1 TB Portable HDD = 4.539 x 3.149 x 0.496 6 TB Desktop Drive = 7.04 x 1.65 x 4.92||1 TB SSD = 0.42 x 1.97 x 2.76 1 TB Portable HDD = 4.52 x 3.07 x 0.46 6 TB Desktop Hub = 1.783 x 5.114 x 1.783|
|Weight, g||1 TB SSD = 45 1 TB Portable HDD = 159 6 TB Desktop Drive = 1176||1 TB SSD = 45 1 TB Portable HDD = 148 6 TB Desktop Hub = 1240|
|Colors||All Black||SSD = Black, Silver, Light Blue Portable HDD = Black, Silver, Space Grey, Light Blue, Red, Rose Gold Desktop Hub = Black|
|Texture||SSD = Textured Plastic Portable HDD = Ridges Plastic Desktop Drive = Ridges Plastic||SSD = Aluminium Top Portable HDD = Polished Aluminium Desktop Hub = Textured Plastic|
|USB 3.0 Port||SSD = 1 Portable HDD = 1 Desktop Drive = 1||SSD = 1 Portable HDD = 1 DESKTOP HUB = 2|
|USB-C||No||Desktop Hub = 1|
Features of Seagate Expansion
- It offers a plug-in instant storage facility.
- If anything happens to your device like it fell into water or went through some natural damage, Seagate will provide rescue recovery service for the Expansion family.
- All three products of Expansion are energy efficient and are equipped with a power management system.
- It provides a data transfer rate of 5 GB/s for its SSD.
Features of Seagate One Touch
- The most important feature One Touch provides is the facility of charging devices in its Hub Device.
- Its SSD provides a data transfer rate of 1030 MB/s.
- Its Hub is password protected and comes along with an extra USB 3.0 port.
- Featuring USB-C allows you to transfer data on your mobile phones to storage devices.
- With its Sync Plus Software, you can set up a backup schedule very easily and can acquire effortless protection.
- For better control of your data, One Touch gives you a complimentary one-year subscription to Mylio.
- It also offers a 4-month membership of the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan. This allows its users to share, organize, edit and store images quite effectively.
- Its hardware is encrypted with AES-256 (Advanced Encryption Standard) for reliable security.
- Like its competitor, it also provides a free service of rescue recovery.
By analyzing the features of the two contenders, it is obvious that One Touch wins this contest.
Compare them with others:
Difference in Storage Capacity
Both the competitors provide equivalent storage space for each of their products, whether it’s the SSD, portable HDD, or Desktop/Hub Drives.
But Expansion is taking a little bit of a leap in this contest since its portable HDD is available in 5 sizes while the competitor’s portable HDD is having only 4 sizes.
So we can prioritize Expansion over its competitor in terms of product diversity, but at the basic, both of them have equal storage space.
|Product Family||Seagate Expansion||Seagate One Touch|
|SSD||500GB, 1TB, 2TB||500GB, 1TB, 2TB|
|Portable HDD, TB||1, 1.5, 2, 4, 5||1, 2, 4, 5|
|Desktop Drive / Desktop Hub||4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20||4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20|
What are the System Requirements for both?
Both of the competitors are compatible with Windows and macOS systems but the portable HDD of One Touch is also in compliance with the Chromebook as well. This makes it superior in this regard.
|Parameter||Seagate Expansion||Seagate One Touch|
|Chromebook||No||Only with Portable HDD|
Warranty and Price Differences:
Since both competitors are manufactured by the same company, Seagate Technology, so their warranty periods would also be the same.
Seagate offers three (3) years of warranty for all of its data storage devices.
Having a superior data transfer rate and more product diversity makes the price of all three members of Expansion Family relatively higher than its competitor.
- Have equivalent data storage capacity.
- Uses the exFAT file system.
- Are compatible with USB 3.0 and USB-C ports.
- Are compatible with Windows and macOS systems.
- Offers 3 years of warranty.
- Offers superior data transfer rate of 5 GB/s.
- Is having more diversity in its product sizes.
- Has a more attractive and aesthetic appearance and also has a vast variety of colors.
- Offer comparatively more advanced features.
- Is compatible with Chromebook.
- Is relatively less expensive.