Both devices here have a 3 years warranty. They both offer equivalent storage capacity and are well matched with macOS and Windows with a USB 3.0 interface.
Here the Seagate Expansion has a USB 3.0 interface which is also compatible with USB 2.0 for easy connectivity. It is available in 5 sizes with up to 5TB storage capacity. It provides rapid data transfer rates which ensures a speedy response when updating multiple files. It is more compact in design and has more weight than its competitor.
WD My Passport is built with USB 3.0 and 2.0 interfaces. It includes AES hardware encryption which prevents your data from being lost or corrupted.
It is also made with backup software which helps in reviving your data when lost.
It has a very slim and stylish design with quite advanced hardware.
It is made with numerous advanced features and has a lower price with a one-year warranty.
Side By Side Comparison:
Both the contenders have a rectangular shape but their design is quite different from each other. Both the contenders involve curved smooth lines in their design but at different angles and positions.
Seagate Expansion has a credit card shape design and is super light. Its top surface is structured with rough lines design whereas its sides are plain.
Its logo is positioned at the top right center of the portable hard drive. It also includes a USB 3.0 port (18’’) at the plain bottom of the hard drive.
It is designed with a steel casing for added durability and reliability.
Unlike its competitor, WD My Passport has a very slim and stylish design that can easily fit into the palm of your hand.
It is also available in many colors and is designed with a Superspeed USB.
Its top surface is half curved plain and half curved structured with line-grading making it very attractive.
Its corners are plain and its logo is located on the top left side of the front panel.
In terms of hardware, Seagate Expansion has a 3.0 USB port and a Superspeed USB 3.0 port. Whereas WD My Passport has USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.
It includes a 256-bit AES hardware encryption which helps in maintaining security in the system.
Seagate Expansion is weightier as compared to its opponent and is more compact. It also has wider dimensions which make WD’s device slimmer than its opponent.
Passport also has an operating temperature of 5 to 35 Degrees.
And it has a more stylish and attractive design with more advanced hardware than its competitor.
|Parameter||WD My Passport (5TB)||Seagate Expansion (5TB)|
|USB 3.0 Port||1||1|
|Dimensions (L x W x D)||4.22 x 2.95 x 0.75 (inches)||4.54 x 3.149 x 0.823 (inches)|
Features of Seagate Expansion:
- It is built with a USB 3.0 cable which is quite fast than its predecessor and has five more pins than USB 2.0.
- It provides Rescue Data Recovery Services that helps in the recovery of lost and corrupted data as it is involved in salvaging data from damaged, corrupted, failed, or inaccessible storage media.
- It has Plug-in Instant Storage by which you can add extra storage in seconds.
- It has a very small compact size which makes it very easy to utilize.
Features of WD My Passport:
- Its Backup Software keeps track of all your important data stored and makes sure that your data is safe.
- It is built with AES (256-bit) hardware encryption engine which makes sure that your data is encrypted/decrypted following the approved standard.
- It includes a SuperSpeed USB which helps in providing a transfer speed of 5GB/s.
- It provides quite reliable performance in extreme temperatures with a temperature range of 5 to 35 oC.
- It also has a wide non-operating temperature range of -20 to 65 oC.
- It offers great durability and reliability due to its steel casing and has a very slim easy-to-use design.
After analyzing all the features, we can clearly see that the WD’s device here with more valuable features will be considered superior to its competitors.
Which offers more Storage Capacity?
Both the contenders offer up to 5TB storage capacity for their portable hard drives.
But Seagate Expansion is available in five sizes while the other is available in only four sizes.
Due to device’s product diversity, its portable drive will be considered superior to its competitor in this assessment.
Which provides better interface?
The interfaces of a hard drive play a crucial role in determining the data transmission speed between the computer and the hard disk.
The interface is simply the connecting part between the hard disk and the host computer system, and its job is to transfer data between the memory and hard disk.
Seagate Expansion portable hard drives have an interface of 3.0 USB while the hard drive by WD has an interface of USB 3.0 and 2.0.
It’s device offers more variety in its interfaces making it easier for the user to connect his drive with the computer.
The operating system of Seagate Expansion is formatted by exFAT which makes it compatible with Windows and macOS.
On the other hand, WD My Passport is well matched with Windows and Chromebook.
Also, the hard drive by WD can be used in compliance with MacOS after some reformatting.