Both devices are efficient and are compatible with the Windows10+ operating system. They facilitate downloadable backup software to store photos, videos, and other important data that can be retrieved later when needed.
The WD Easystore supports storage space of up to 5TB and it is compact and lightweight. It is a portable type of HDD that is suitable for small-scale businesses. It has a USB 3.0 type-A interface that supports multiple USB versions.
On the other hand, the WD My Book drive is a trusted desktop storage device that is intended to accessory your particular style with an enormous amount of space to back up your photos, videos, documents, and other necessary data.
It is mainly suitable for large-scale applications as it leads to longevity, security, and reliability over portability. It comes with password protection to keep your data and files safe. It also supports recovery in case your data gets ruined due to a virus or any other mishap.
Side By Side Comparison:
Compared to Easystore, the WD My Book offers more data storage capacity and is more versatile. It is a desktop HDD, suitable for large-scale and long-term businesses, compatible with macOS 11+, has an extended 3 years warranty period, has exceptional compatibility with Windows and Mac, and is cost-effective. Whereas its competitor is relatively expensive but has a superior USB 3.0 Type-A interface, a portable HDD suitable for short-term and small-scale businesses, is more compact and lightweight.
What does a quick look at the specs tell us?
|Technical Specifications||Easystore||My Book|
|Device type||Portable HDD||Desktop HDD|
|Compatible devices||Desktop||Laptop, PC|
|Interface||USB 3.2 Gen 1 USB 3.0 Type-A USB 2.0||USB 3.2 Gen 1 USB 3.0 USB 2.0|
|Form Factor||3.5 inches||3.5 inches|
|Limited Warranty (years)||2||3|
Features of WD Easystore
- It is a portable type of drive that allows ease of use.
- Photos, videos, documents, and other necessary data can be easily backed up to the portable drive with the help of storage backup software.
- You can also take the benefit of organizing your drive settings such as reformatting, led control, etc. by downloading the software.
- You can get universal connectivity with USB 3.2 Gen 1/USB 3.0 devices as well as regressive compatibility with USB 2.0 devices with Easystore portable drive.
- WD stores data for millions of people worldwide with reliability, security, and care.
- It has a massive capacity for storing data up to a storage capacity of 18TB.
Features of WD My Book
- It is suitable for large-scale businesses since it is a desktop drive.
- Like its competitor, it also comes with downloadable backup software to make sure your important files don’t get lost. You can back up the files at your desired scheduled time.
- The backup software includes recovery options in case your data gets ruined due to a virus, computer failure, or if you pressed the delete button involuntarily.
- It keeps the data password protected due to built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption. You can set your own desired password by just activating the password protection.
Differences and Similarities in their Interface
A device that is used to connect unrelated entities is called an interface.
Both contenders support USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 2.0 interfaces.
USB 2.0 supports a transfer speed of 480 Mbps while USB 3.2 Gen 1 supports a transfer speed of 5 Gbps, which is 10 times faster than the USB 2.0 interface.
WD Easystore supports a superior interface of USB 3.0 Type-A.
It is the most commonly used connector.
It supports every USB version, including USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1.
While My Book is only compatible with USB 3.0. Hence Easystore wins this competition due to backward compatibility.
Which out of them has a better design and hardware?
WD Easystore is a portable HDD with a rectangular-shaped design and a slim body shape.
It has a glossy black color with a grey logo of ‘Easystore’ on its front side.
It has only one USB 3.0 port on its left side (from the front side view).
My Book, on the other hand, is having a tower-shaped structure with the upper half having a smooth glossy black surface with a ‘WD’ logo on it.
And the lower half is having a grey color with a stairs-like structure.
My Book is heavier in weight and larger in size than its opponent.
Like its competitor, it is also having a USB 3.0 port on its backside.
Both of them are on the same terms from a hardware perspective, but the design of My Book is relatively much more attractive than its competitor.
|Dimension in inches (L x W x H)||4TB = 4.33 × 3.21 × 0.83||4TB = 5.5 × 1.9 × 6.7|
|Weight, g||4TB = 230||4TB = 1000|
|Color||Matt black||Glossy black and Shiny grey|
Temperature is an important parameter to analyze as it affects the life span of drives.
A higher temperature can cause failure.
The average operating temperature of the drives is 5°C to 50°C. On analyzing the results, it is concluded that both competitors have equal operating and non-operating temperatures.
Hence they both will deliver similar performance and protection at extreme temperatures.
|Temperature (Operating / Non-Operating), °C||5 to 35 / -20 to 65||5 to 35 / -20 to 65|
Differences in System Compatibility
Both competitors are compatible with windows 10+.
WD My Book comparatively requires reformatting for other operating systems and supports formatted ExFAT file system while WD Easystore has a downloadable NTFS driver to read/write on MacOS.
My Book takes the lead as it is compatible with macOS 11+ which makes it superior.
|Operating system||Easystore||My Book|
|Require Reformatting for other Operating Systems||No||Compatible|
Which out of them has a better Storage Capacity?
WD My Book has a comparatively massive storage capacity of up to 18TB ranging from 4TB – 18TB while its competitor has a storage capacity ranging from 1TB – 5TB.
Hence it takes the lead for holding higher storage than its contender.
It also takes the lead for being versatile in product sizes. It has 7 different sizes available while its contender has only 4 sizes.
Hence, WD’s device here is comparatively a better choice from a data storage capacity perspective.
|Capacity||5TB, 4TB, 2TB, 1TB||4TB, 6TB, 8TB, 12TB, 14TB, 16TB, 18TB|
Warranty and Price Comparison
The Western Digital company offers an extended warranty period of 3 years for My Book and 2 years only for Easystore. Hence My Book has better warranty.
Similarly, easy to use, portability, NTFS file system, USB 3.0 Type-A interface, compact size, and lighter weight make Easystore relatively more expensive than its competitor.
- have an equivalent operating and non-operating temperature.
- are compatible with windows 10+.
- facilitate downloadable backup software.
- have an interface of USB 3.0.
- have an equivalent form factor of 3.5 inches.
- is a portable external hard drive.
- is more compact and lighter in weight.
- suitable for small-scale and short-term businesses and personal use.
- has a superior interface of USB 3.0 Type-A.
- has a downloadable NTFS driver to read/write on MacOS.
- has 2 years warranty period.
- is a desktop external hard drive.
- is a more attractive storage device than its competitor.
- suitable for large-scale and long-term businesses.
- Offers more data storage capacity and product versatility.
- is relatively less expensive.
- compatible with macOS 11+.
- has extended 3 years warranty period.
- require reformatting for other operating systems.
- formatted exFAT for exceptional compatibility with Windows and Mac.
- built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption keeping data password protected.
- is a more economical choice.