Both SSD storage devices provide outstanding performance in extreme temperatures. Both have PCIe expansion slots of generation 3 with four lanes.
The Samsung 970 EVO provides exceptional performance and high efficiency due to a faster writing speed. Its nickel-coated controller and heat spreader makes it quite reliable than other industry standard storage devices.
It is further designed with Dynamic Thermal Guard and comes with Samsung Magician software which will help you keep an eye on your drive. It has V-NAND technology which helps it provide better endurance. EVO consumes less power and is very efficient.
On the other side, the Hynix Gold P31 is the world’s first 128-layer NAND flash-based consumer SSD.
It has a high-performance bandwidth which makes it quite reliable for heavy-duty applications. It delivers headline specs of up to 1.4 million IOPS and has a 176-Layer TLC flash in its controller.
Comparing Both Storage Devices:
In comparison to Gold P31, the Samsung EVO offers more product versatility, consumes less power, has better sequential performance, and is more reliable than its competitor. On the other hand, P31 is supported by Device Sleep Mode and GC (Garbage Collection). It also offers queue support and convenient latency.
SK hynix Gold P31
Samsung 970EVO Plus
|Technical Specifications||Hynix Gold||Samsung 970|
|Product Family||Internal SSDs||Internal SSDs|
|Interface||PCIe NVMe Gen 3.0 x4||PCIe NVMe Gen 3.0 x4|
|Form Factor||M.2 2280||M.2 2280|
|Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)||1.5 million hours||1.5 million hours|
|AES Encryption support||No||Yes|
Design and Hardware
Both the contenders almost have the same physical design and appearance. They both have a rectangular-shaped design but P31 is relatively slimmer than its competitor.
On the other hand, EVO has more weight and wider dimensions than its competitor.
Samsung EVO features Dynamic Thermal Guard which monitors and maintains optimal operating temperatures. It also consists of a nickel-coated controller to help manage the controller’s heat level and prevent the device from overheating.
It is designed with Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) security technology which makes sure that your data is safe. It also includes an AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption engine.
It has a phoenix controller which offers a high level of quality and reliability.
EVO SSD is also integrated with a thin copper film. It has a flexible design and comes with Samsung’s innovative technology. When talking about hardware, it has 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB DRAM Cache Memory with a form factor of M.2 (2280).
On the other hand, the Hynix Gold P31 is designed with a 128-Layer NAND flash memory.
It has a CEPHEUS controller with 176-Layer TLC flash which helps it in providing quality performance.
It has a 4D NAND technology which is combined with 3D CTF (Charge Trap Flash) design.
It has a PCIe NVMe Gen3 interface which is up to four lanes. Its design also includes a Form Factor of M.2 2280 which is one-sided.
|Parameter||Hynix Gold||Samsung 970|
|Dimension in mm (L x W x D)||22 x 80 x 2.23||80.15 x 22.15 x 2.38|
|Voltage||3.3 volts||3.3 volts|
|Temperature Range, ℃||0 to 70||0 to 70|
Features of Samsung 970 EVO Plus:
- It is made with TurboWrite technology which operates within a specific data transfer size.
- It is designed with V-NAND Technology which uses simpler algorithms to speed up read/write performance.
- It has The Samsung Magician software which optimizes Samsung SSDs to help monitor drive health, manage, and protect data.
- It has a black Printed Circuit Board which is usedappropriatelyin circuits where light reflection is not required.
- It is made with a V5 flash which enhances its performance by increasing its speed.
- It features an I/O rating of 1.2V which is quite low compared to the industry standard I/O rating.
Features of SK Hynix Gold P31:
- It is made with Hyper-write cache technology which consists of an algorithm that improves its performance by helping it to write better and faster.
- It has a 172.2 Mbps-per-watt power efficiency which will provide longer battery life for your devices.
- It is supported by Device Sleep Mode which places the RAM into a minimum power state to retain data and GC (Garbage Collection) which helps in recycling memory for other purposes.
- It comes with AES 256-bit Encryption support which is resilient against hacking attempts, thanks to its higher-length key sizes.
- It has a latency speed of 90us (Read) and 45us (Write).
- It also provides support for up to 256 queues.
After discussing the features of both the contenders, it can be said that P31, with more advanced features, wins this contest.
Both the contenders provide great performance as they can reach sequential read speeds of up to 3500MB/s.
But still, Samsung EVO will be superior to its competitor in this category as it offers a faster writing speed.
This shows that it will take up less time than its competitor to write data blocks in a fixed order. Its optimized firmware further helps EVO to offer better sequential performance.
|Speeds||Hynix Gold (1TB)||Samsung 970 (1TB)|
|Read Speed||3500 MB/s||3500 MB/s|
|Write Speed||3200 MB/s||3300 MB/s|
Both the contenders offer exceptional storage space for their products, as they both provide 2TB, 1TB, and 500GB storage capacities.
But Samsung EVO will be considered superior to its competitor in this category.
This is because it provides an additional 250 GB SSD drive for its customers, offering more variety.
|Product Family||Hynix Gold||Samsung 970|
|SSD||500GB, 1TB, 2TB||250GB,500GB, 1TB, 2TB|
All the power in the drive is converted to heat and a small amount of that is dissipated over the interface.
So, in short, the more the power consumption the more heat will be produced.
This will have many consequences such as early heat up of your device and less-energy efficiency from an economical perspective.
On average, Hynix Gold P31 consumes more power than its competitor in both the active and idle devices.
So, EVO becomes superior to its competitor in terms of power consumption.
|Components||Hynix Gold||Samsung 970|
Performance in Extreme temperatures
The normal temperature range in which an SSD operates is 0 to 60 degrees but in both these contenders, it is 0 to 70 degrees which shows how good and reliable their performance is in extreme temperatures.
They will have Improved storage longevity, which means longer lifespans for devices and fewer costs associated with device replacement.
Both the contenders offer an MTBF of 1.5 million per hour which shows the interval between one failure and the next.
They both are very competitive in terms of reliability but still, we will consider Samsung EVO superior to its opponent.
Because it is designed with an Advanced Nickel-Coated controller and heat spreader which maintains operating temperatures and also further enables superior heat dissipation.
- offers better sequential performance.
- is more reliable.
- has V-NAND technology.
- offers more product variety.
- is made with V5 Flash.
Hynix Gold P31:
- is supported with Device sleep mode and GC (Garbage Collection).
- is designed with 4D NAND Technology.
- provides 172.2 Mbps-per-watt power efficiency.
- has a latency speed of 90us (Read) and 45us (Write).
- has a lower price.